If I had a dime for every time someone insinuated that we must have money because we're adopting from China, I wouldn't need to fundraise! Hindsight is 20/20 but if anyone reading is just starting out consider this a good fundraiser in itself - charge a dime, heck a quarter, for each time someone is that insensitive.
Of course there are people who have money and are comfortable paying out the expenses involved in the process of adoption, but the surprizingly vast majority are people who work hard for every penny and scrimp, save, beg and borrow to make ends meet and pay the professionals whose services make the adoption possible. We fall squarely into the latter group.
My friend, Nancy, and I have been planning a Yard Sale for June 7th at the Crossroads (up from the lights of St.Marg's Bay and Prospect). We have been collecting things to sell there and I'm getting VERY excited!!! So far we have: about 7 boxes of toys, books, cds, 2 car seats, 2 baby swings, an art easel, three sleds, a Cozy Coupe, 2 rocking chairs, a trike and two ride-ons, baby clothes, picture frames...
I'm sooo excited and touched by the support we've received from our request for "junk" donations, which has been only the most recent example of the help we've had. People have been incredibly generous with everything from goods/money to themselves in terms of time and listening ears, which makes me feel surrounded in community and encouraging support. I've felt all along and said many times that our journey is fated and the help from our friends and family has reinforced that feeling. We go forth with faith and hope and our path is cleared by the love and support of those surrounding us. We'll find our way.
N
1 comment:
I hope it is a huge success for you!
Post a Comment