Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Great Wall

One of the highlights of this trip was our visit to the Great Wall of China, which was today. We left early, and drove on the bus. On the way there, we stopped at a Jade Factory where they made, and sold jade trinkets, statues and jewellery. It is Chinese custom to give the bride a jade bracelet on her wedding. Steve and I wanted to get something here for AnnaWen and Paxten for thier wedding days (or graduation or something else special, depending). I had originally figured it would be pearls, but when I saw the jade bracelets, I decided that was a better choice. I bought three bracelets, one for Anna, one for PJ and one for me. They kinda match, with one third purple and the rest shades of green. I'll save the girls' bracelets for later, but I'm going to wear mine!

After that expensive stop, we headed to the Great Wall. I think the Great Wall is the Niagara Falls of China in some ways, or a huge version of Peggy's Cove. The tourist traffic was INSANE. The number of people there was crazy and complicated our climb. But on the other hand, it was like nothing I can describe or explain. The size of the wall was incredible and the views from it were unbelievable, and I'm sad to say the pictures do not do it justice. And the carrier I bought before the trip was worth every last penny today, as Wen and I made this adventure together.

After the Great Wall we ate a traditional meal at a place called "The Friendship Store/Restaurant" (I can't remember which). It was delicious! I'm loving the food. Getting home took a while as we ended up in traffic from an accident. We drove past the Olympic venues - the Water Cube and the Birds' Nest. I'm hoping we can get closer, but I'm thinking it's unlikely. Julie and Steve are going to a wheelchair basketball game on Tuesday but I opted to do the market tour listed on our itinerary as that's where I'm hoping to get some of my "must haves" from the trip.

We got back and I called Darlene. Darlene and I grew up together, and she has been living in Beijing for 2.5 years. She headed to the hotel while we cleaned up. She chatted with Wen for a few minutes, I'm hoping she can give me a rough idea of how much Wen is really saying and if she remembers anything from her history in terms of orphanage or foster home, etc. Darlene asked Wen if she liked us, and she said she did... Darlene took us to a street that has been reconstructed to look like old Beijing where we walked in the crowds and I took pictures of the buildings. It started to rain so we took the subway to a spa near her house and had a "foot massage". I use the term lightly b/c they bathed our feet and meanwhile massaged our shoulders, necks, backs, then massaged our feet, then did a quick once over on our legs. The whole thing took about 1.5 hours and cost less than $20. Shock.

We're just home now from that and it's nearly midnight. Steve and AnnaWen are asleep, and likely have been for quite some time. Tomorrow we have a medical appointment for Anna, then supposedly a free day which we're looking to fill with the Summer Palace and maybe the Temple of Heaven. I want to spend time with the families we're touring with too, as this is our best opportunity to create connections for our children going forward. That and they're all so darned cute! We'll see what the day brings.

Just a few pics, as it's late and I want to go to sleep.

N




















5 comments:

Jen said...

Amazing pictures!!!!

Sue said...

Some great pics Nat.I really wish I could grasp the extent of the wonder of that wall. To think it can be seen from space!

Jacky said...

Great update Nat... what a great chance to see and do things... no wonder you're tired! Glad Wen's doing well and she likes you... how wouldn't she? Lovely pics again!

Melissa said...

That must have been truly astounding - crowds aside!

I love the signs there btw! :D

Anonymous said...

I've been following along faithfully and marvelling at Annawen and her courage. What a great job you all are doing...all 4of you. We'll have so much to talk about when you get back...
Big Hugs!
Shirley