My bday is coming up, and I don't really care. I'm mostly interested in the cake. I'm old enough that I often have to do math to figure out which birthday it is, but still young enough that I don't dread being another year older.
What I have noticed, though is I suck at a lot of things I used to do better. I wont' say 'well' as it's a strong word, but I used to play a lot of baseball and basketball. I wasn't a star, but I worked hard and could hold my own most of the time. Now? I suck. I went skating at lunch today and could not believe how wobbly I was. Ankle riding, uneasy and stumbly, it was aweful. I was never an Olympic skater, but I used to be able to skate with confidence and speed and a little stupidity in judgment. Not today, I was just happy to stay on my feet. I'm much more frustrated by my loss of endurance and skill at athletic things than I am about aging... I guess the only good part is with maturity I have much less concern about making a fool of myself so while I'm frustrated by poor ability, it doesn't stop me from trying as it may have before.
N
4 comments:
Heck, I can't climb the stairs like I could a few short years ago, let alone skate. I haven't skated in, well, probably 20 years at least? I think I'd like to give it another try, just to see how badly I would do!!
Well... I find it hard to walk lately so you're not that bad... hang in there... try a couple more times and you'll get the hang of it!
Good for you for getting out there and giving skating a try. Larry just mentioned going skating today and I shuttered with fear. I used to love to skate but now I’m scared I will break both of my ankles because they are so weak!
Smiles! :o)
Nikki
You know, with age comes wisdom..
with wisdom comes the realization that if you fall it will hurt...
A LOT!
Happy soon to be birthday!
Post a Comment