Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Long Lost Blogger

Shocker! I'm back!

Life is crazy, as always... what are the reasons I've given in the past? Busy, fatigue, funk and frustration, nothing happening... lots of stuff.

The kids are fantastic. They are doing so well... if I think too much about it, it hurts; how fast they're growing, how much they're learning, how much I adore them.

Jack has thrown some ugly tantrums of late, that included hitting, kicking, swearing, defiance, nastiness, all round "little fucker" syndrome. I'm struggling to know what to do in response, but he's been doing much better this week after the last one - I think he realizes he went too far. He even apologized to me on his own, no suggestion or solicitation from Steve - I don't know if he's ever done that before? We'll get through it.

AnnaWen went to a checkup at the Developmental Clinic, and a reassessment with a speech language pathologist (who's not emotionally attached). At both places she has demonstrated great progress since the last visits and now scores - READY? - within normal limits for all skills!!! That's scored against four year olds who have a typical English history too, not against kids who have 20 months of exposure to English and PARENTS, and all those things that go with parents like stimulation, learning, loving... So in short, we have a perfect little girl. But we knew that already :)

Elliot and Paxten are often mistaken for twins. They look identical these days, which is strange b/c it's Jack's and Paxten's baby pictures that are difficult to distinguish, Elliot was very different as a baby. Elliot is of average height/size, which is small in this family. Paxten is ginormous. She's within an inch of his height, and may weigh more. So I get asked all the time if they are the twins, not Wen and PJ. Though I was at a skate put on by the Autism Society where a girl asked my kids' ages, then asked if Paxten and AnnaWen were identical twins...

Things are good and I'm looking forward to spring and summer - my favourite time of the year. Winter is always horrible, cold, dark, long, dreary... I'm much happier when the sun is shining and the air is warm!

N

2 comments:

Sue said...

Nice to see you back. I really enjoy your blog and miss them when I keep going there only to find "the same ol'".

the meaklims said...

Thrilled to hear about Annawen's reassessment. Yes, she is perfect, Isn't it incredible that our girls came through a 'special needs' program?! Crazy stuff.

Also, laughed out loud at someone asking if your girls are identical twins.

Glad to see you back!
Jill