Sunday, December 13, 2009

Busy busy busy

but we didn't do anything out of the ordinary...

Saturday I got to sleep in b/c my husband loves me. When I got up we rushed to the rink for 11:00 hockey practice. I watched a bit then left them with Steve to pick up PJ's bday cake. Who's flippin' idea was it to order the cake for pickup from Costco at noon on Saturday two weeks before Christmas? I am a retard. (oh that's not a nice word, sorry). I got the cake and a second one for good measure, got an extra pizza too b/c I was paranoid of running out. From there I raced home and cleaned/tidied/organized/cut up/set out everything from the party - plastic table cloths (is that an oxymoron?) on the table, craft supplies laid out (sequins and glue - further proof of my unstable mental condition), cheese, crackers, strawberries, pineapple, chips, cheesies, party mix, M&Ms put out, plates, cups, Christmas napkins at the ready... Meanwhile Steve took the kids to the boys' basketball game which I was very sorry to miss :(

The first kids showed up at three. In total we had 20 kids over (not so many when you think that mine and their "cousins" both real and friend-kind total 11), with a handful of adults. The kids made crowns or visor hats, had their hair curled and nails painted, pinned a kiss on the frog, ate pizza and cake and snacks, opened presents and at last jumped in the bounce house. Everyone was well behaved and seemed to have a good time. The last one left about 5:30... we mosied into the evening, put the kids to bed and Steve went out for a boys' night on the town while I went to bed and laid awake until almost 3am.

The alarm went off at 6 - the boys were in a tournament where they got to play at the Metro Centre. They were on separate teams and their combined schedules had games at 7:55, 8:45, 9:45 and 11:50. I actually got Jack to the first game, dressed and happy to play on time! Of course the others in tow. Steve had stayed over at his friends since he was not in driving form, and went straight to his own practice at 8 so I was doing it alone. I actually didn't think it was a problem since I often manage the both at hockey with the girls watching... but I hadn't measured the frustration of two flights of stairs and one flight of bleachers to climb up and down before and after every game with three kids in tow! A&A showed up for one of Jack's game and some of the break between the third and fourth game - the tourny organizers had bounce houses, face painting and unlimited T*mbits! Steve made it for the break and Elliot's last game.

From there we went to price out Christmas trees. Last year we handed over a rediculous amount of money for a tree and we didn't want to repeat the mistake this year. We went to a lot in the city to look around... We looked at the usual ones we've gotten in the past, 10-12 feet high, 5 feet across at the bottom, grand and full to fit our raised ceiling... but the one the kids all agreed on was certifiably Charlie-esk. It was in the corner by the smallest (read cheapest) trees, actually discarded on the ground. In all fairness the lot owners should have donated it, since our kids were SOOO excited over such a pathetic looking plant. Let's put it this way, the wrap they tie it up with only pinched the very bottom, leaving the top wide open within the wrap's diameter. Jack carried it from the lot to the car. It fit IN Steve's car, WITH his wheelchair gear.

We got home and I pulled the "your turn" card to claim a nap. I don't usually, and it'll probably mean another rough night tonight, but I had just hit the wall. When I got up, we "decorated" our tree and took pictures in front of it, they are so happy and excited and proud of it, it's my favourite one yet! From there we had spaghetti dinner, bathes, guinea time and stories and they're tucked in and quiet at least. I was supposed to play hockey tonight myself, but I was just too wiped to do it. I'm disappointed b/c I love playing but the thought of tying skates for a fifth time and fighting my way into my gear was enough to make me cry, so I didn't go...

That's it... our typical, quiet weekend!

N

PS, here are some pictures... It would be a better blog entry if they were dispersed appropriately throughout the text but I can't be bothered...







she leant into the cake and got her dress and necklace covered in icing...

licking off her necklace... that's my delicate flower!


Jack stopped in the middle of play to pose for this picture... Superstar!
Elliot skating hard!





They used the penalty box as a bench... I couldn't resist taking the picture of E sequestered in the penalty box!

No comments: